Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Essence of Blog

So here I am writing my first blog post ever and its about this other blogger who blogs. So there's this dude Fred First, right, he writes blogs. Not about anything in particular, pretty much just the contents of his life, thoughts, etc, you get the picture. Anyways, I read his interview done by Rebecca Blood, and it was a long one. Were talking 7,140 words here (tldr status), the kinda article that, by the time I'm done reading it, I've been distracted by dozens of other things happening all around me. But, that's a personal problem, and that's not what I'm here to talk about.

What I am here to talk about is his interview. Fred seems like a pretty chill dude. He got into blogging for a reason that is pretty universally understood, I think. He wants his story out there, he wants to express himself, he wants something for the next generation to remember him by. People have been doing this for years. In the same way that the ancients left cave drawings on walls, famous authors and poets write books, our grandparents leave old and tattered black and white photographs... its just another way to leave behind a piece of yourself. Today, there are countless ways to leave your mark, and most of them involve the internet. Today it is simple to create a Facebook timeline or Twitter, or a Blog like this. Just log on and upload. In the interview, Fred mentions that before he started blogging his grandmother died, and there was no way of remembering her stories. He was partly inspired to blog so that his kids could remember him by his stories left forever on his blog.

I'm new to blogging but I'm not new to this idea. I've been leaving a trail of my existence on the internet for years. There is this cite called Facebook, perhaps you've heard of it. I'm not as big of a user as I once was, but its still pretty cool to imagine that my great grandchildren could log on in the future and see what I looked like or what was going through my head on a specific date years ago. I could not do the same for my parents, and the fact that we have this technology today is pretty rad.


No comments:

Post a Comment