Sunday, April 13, 2014

My Pal Google.

Back in 93 when I was born, the internet was still just in its early stages of life. Most people didn't even know about it, or were unaware of its significance. Then, right around when I turned five, my friend Google made its entrance into this world. Since that time we have grown up together. Ever since I can remember, Google has been there for me, whether I needed help with my homework, doing some calculations, checking my spelling, or even to just ask any random question that popped into my head. Google has been there to help me every step of the way. My generation is a unique one in that we have this incredible tool at our fingertips and many of us can't even remember a time without it. Those of us in our early 20's and younger have grown up and developed alongside this entity, maturing and gaining knowledge, and Google has been doing the same. Our lives have been Googleized ever since we picked up that mouse and started browsing the net. Coming generations will take this for granted; they will even have a more sophisticated, grown up version of Google to work with. Their friend Google will be an everyday acquaintance who wants to get to know them... wants to get to know them really well.. 
Indeed, sometimes it feels like Google is getting to know us too well. We are becoming more and more worried about their privacy. But what are we to do about it, stop using Google? For many of us, this is not realistic, we are dependent on Google, and I don't mean that we are addicted. Of course I cannot generalize here, I can only speak for myself, and I don't think I am addicted to Google. Google just happens to be the first place I go when I have a question I want answered. Why? Well because its the best! I don't use Yahoo or Bing or Ask.com because I have had better experiences using Google, and Google has not disappointed me. Sure, maybe Google gets a bit nosy, wanting to know me on a first name basis, wondering where I am at the moment, tracking my whereabouts... but I ask the question, "So what?" Why do I care if Google knows this much about me? Am I hiding something from Google? Is Google going to use this information against me? I may be too naive in assuming my relative safety, but I am one of the few people looking ahead, much farther ahead. I believe that if there is one company with the will and resources to truly change the world, it will be Google. Think.. what will Google be like 10 years from now?
I believe that 10 years down the line, Google will have changed and evolved in ways that many of us won't  believe. Most likely we will be able to interface directly with Google, maybe converse with it like a normal human being. Think even further down the line, would you consider installing a chip in your brain to connect your mind to the internet? You could have virtual conversations with an AI Google brain simply by thinking, who knows what Google will be capable of? Maybe that sounds a little too futuristic, or "Sky Net-ish" for your liking. But these are things that I like to think about and I know I'm not alone. In order to gain access to something like this, of course we may have to be willing to give up some privacy. This will be difficult for some of us to accept, but with the worlds population growing strong and showing no sign of stopping, I think it is inevitable. Privacy is not a priority in the world of the future, and those who try to hold onto it will fall behind. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment