Friday, May 23, 2014

Future transport

I went to China my sophomore year here at NCC to study abroad, and I must say it was a hassle. Expensive plane tickets, changing flights, confusing airports - these are all things I had to deal with to get all the way across to the other side of the world. Now China has proposed this future project to link the nations of China, Russia, Canada and America. A railway that connects the two sides of the world would be a project unlike anything ever attempted before and would require many years of construction, financing and loads of other factors that I wont get into right now. But lets face it, if anyone right now has the industry and labor to do something like this right now, its China; and they have offered to fund and construct this massive railway themselves.

Now whats this mean for us? I dunno, but for me - This is amazing news! When I went to China to study abroad I had the time of my life, it was indescribable. I would give anything to go back there just for fun, but that's not practical at this point in my life. However, if in the future this railway existed, it would make the possibility of travelling to the other side of the globe way easier. I can imagine a future where citizens of all these nations readily come and go, and are truly global citizens. Of course we consider ourselves global right now, but this is an illusion. We can transfer our thoughts, and images to other places via the internet, and occasionally we do fly all the way around the world in planes. But this project would make transferring our actual physical bodies to other places much easier. I'm all for it, but of course this is not yet a certain thing. There are many political, financial, blah, blah, blah factors that need to be considered before this project can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment